Thursday 23 April 2009

Social Networks

This could go on for a while. Leave now.

So, about 5 years ago everyone was like "Are you on MySpace?!". If the answer was no, you were frowned upon. Frowned upon is possibly a bit old fashioned. You were more likely mocked for not being tech savvy and having an online presence. So off we all went, signing up to MySpace to stop the mocking, uploading our faces and all the details of ourselves. There were the three main types of social networkers; the over excited 'I-must-tell-you-everything' types, the cocky/arrogant 'I'm-too-good-for-this (but I still have a profile here!)' types and then the 'I-actually-really-can't-be-bothered-with-this' types. We'd spend hours uploading photos of ourselves, laughing at other people's photos, leaving comments. I spent many an hour or two playing around with html, trying to get my profile to look just right and better than the profile I had before. It was good, we all enjoyed being able to fritter our time away online.

Then someone mentioned Bebo.


So I though, 'yeah, I'll give this a go'. It asked me for my University details and e-mail address when I signed up. I though 'wow, this must be important!', and it was. You didn't even need to know any html to make your profile look spiffing. So we all spent a bit more time on Bebo, but not fogetting our MySpace though. It was there first, after all. Some of us even linked back to MySpace, just incase you wanted the same information, but different.

Then someone else mentioned Facebook.

'Might as well...' we all thought. But Facebook was different. It wasn't as easy on the user. It confused people. Many never made it past the 'Sign up' page. It was difficult times. Bebo and MySpace were safe. Though with time, people were won over. They learned to change. Hell, even Facebook changed. Suddenly there was an understanding there between the user and the network. It was almost perfect. Many people found what they were looking for in Facebook which they couldn't find in Bebo and MySpace.

Only now, there was a problem. People proclaiming they were 'no longer on Bebo or MySpace', often broadcasting it through Facebook.

See, this is the problem.

Nobody actually cares.

The amount of times I've heard people claim this. Like they're too good to be on these sites. Why did they sign up in the first place? And just why do they feel so smug and superior announcing this? 'Oh, I never use MySpace anymore'. Yeah? You want to know why that is? It's because you're boring and tedious! Your profile falls into the categories above and people find you characterless. You have no redeeming features, or at least no way of conveying it. THAT'S why you have no commincation on these sites and can no longer justify using them. I very much dislike the reputation certain types of people give social networks, especially when they were the very types who couldn't get enough of them in the first place. Maybe if you learned to transfer your obviously shining and wonderful personality to another medium, you'd be a bit more interesting.

Social Network bashers for no reason, you are idiots.

No comments: